LG Magic Remote is a 2-in-1 remote, so you can use it as an Air Mouse and as a remote control. You can press the Home button to access the LG Content Store. But in some situations, you might have to face the home button not working on the LG TV remote. While it is not a major issue, it still needs to be fixed, and you can try the basic troubleshooting methods.
How to Fix LG TV Home Button Not Working
If you have encountered any of the following problems, you should know the reason for the cause and then follow the suitable solutions to fix it.
LG TV Home Button Doesn’t Work
The primary reason for the LG TV home button not working is technical errors. Notably, it can occur due to several reasons.
- Unknown errors in TV
- Due to residual power
- Pairing issues
Follow the below fixes if the Home button doesn’t work on multiple presses.
Soft Reset LG TV
Due to a technical glitch inside your TV, you may not be able to use the remote sometimes. To fix this, you can soft reset your LG TV.
- Unplug the power cord of the LG TV from the source.
- Wait for 1 minute by keeping it aside.
- Locate the power button of the TV and keep hold of it for 30 seconds.
- Now plug the TV cord back into the wall socket and turn it on.
Check if you can access LG Content Store by pressing the Home button.
Soft Reset LG TV Remote
If plenty of residual power is left within the LG TV remote, it may stop some buttons from working. You can fix this issue by power cycling the remote.
- Pop out the batteries from the remote’s battery compartment.
- Press the Power button on the remote and hold it for 30 seconds.
- Reinsert the batteries based on their positive and negative polarities.
- Press the Home button to test whether it opens LG Content Store.
If the Home button on LG TV remote is not working after the battery change, you can try it after pairing the remote.
Re-pair LG Magic Remote
LG Magic Remote will work only if it is paired with your LG Smart TV. In some cases, the remote may also get unpaired due to unidentified errors. Therefore, you need to re-pair the LG Magic remote with your TV to fix it.
- Press the Home and Back buttons on the remote for about 5 seconds.
- If the red light flashes on the Power button, it indicates it has been reset.
- Press the OK button on the scrolling wheel.
- Once paired, you will see the “Magic Remote has been successfully registered” message on the TV screen.
Check if the LG Content Store is opening when you press the Home button.
LG TV Remote Won’t Respond
If LG TV remote is not responding properly, the issue can be either from the remote or the TV. Some of the key reasons are listed as follows.
- Weak or drained batteries
- Outdated LG TV firmware
- Corrupted system files
Try these workarounds if LG TV remote doesn’t work upon pressing buttons.
Change the Batteries
If one or more buttons on the LG TV remote are not working, it is because of drained batteries. Also, if you get a slow response from the remote, it is a clear indication that the batteries are running out of charge.
Simply pop out the old batteries and replace them with newer ones. Pair the remote with your LG TV and check if the Home button works without any issues.
Test IR Emitter
LG standard remote works by transmitting infrared signals to the receiver. If there is an issue with the remote’s IR emitter, you can’t use the remote. Follow the below steps to perform an IR test.
1. Open the Camera app on your smartphone.
2. Show your remote’s head towards the rear camera.
3. Press the remote buttons and check if you can see purple color light.
If you don’t see any remote light, then the IR emitter is proven defective. So, you can buy a universal remote or replacement remote for your TV.
Update LG TV Firmware
If you forget to update your LG TV firmware, you may miss the updated features. Possibly, the home button on the remote may stop working because of a missing update. Follow the below steps to update your LG TV to the latest version.
1. Click on Settings and select All Settings.
2. Select General and click on About this TV.
3. Tap Check for updates and click Yes if there is any update available.
Once you update LG Smart TV, press the Home button on the remote to check if it is working or not.
Turn Off Quick Start+
Quick Start+ is a useful feature available on limited LG Smart TV models. If it is turned on, your TV will boot up faster than usual. But it is recommended to turn off Quick Start+ if the Home button on the remote doesn’t work properly.
1. Go to Settings, click All Settings, and tap General.
2. Turn off Quick Start+ using a toggle.
Restart your LG TV and check if the Home button works without any issues.
Streaming App Buttons Not Working
Some LG Smart TV remotes will have shortcut keys for Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Disney Plus, and Rakuten TV. Due to some reasons, the streaming apps button may not work.
- Technical Error
- Internet connectivity issue
- Server problems
If your LG Smart TV doesn’t respond to streaming app shortcut buttons, you can rely on the following methods.
Check Network Settings
If LG Smart TV is not connected to the internet, it can be the reason for the streaming app buttons not working. To fix this, follow the instructions.
1. Go to Settings, tap All Settings, and click on Network.
2. Select your WIFI network from the available connections.
3. After it gets connected, select your WIFI and tap EDIT.
4. Tap Connect to establish an internet connection.
After a successful connection, press the Netflix or Prime Video button to check if it loads the content on your LG Smart TV.
Change DNS Settings
If the internet connection is still unstable, we recommend users change the DNS server. This will fix if any remote buttons are not working.
1. Open Settings on LG Smart TV and click on All Settings.
2. Click Network, select your WIFI, and tap EDIT.
3. Uncheck the Set Automatically check box.
4. Enter 188.8.131.52 in the DNS Server and tap Connect.
Once connected, restart your LG Smart TV to take effect. After that, press the Home or other buttons to see if it is working without errors.
Reset LG Smart TV
If the LG Magic remote is not pairing or the scroll wheel not working, it is recommended to reset LG Smart TV to factory defaults.
1. Go to Settings on LG TV, tap All Settings, and click on General.
2. Scroll through the options and click Reset to Initial Settings.
3. Tap OK to confirm the reset.
After the reset, re-pair the remote and test the functions. Suppose there is no Home button on the LG TV remote due to physical damage, the only solution is to buy a replacement remote.
Leave a Comment