Does your LG TV have no sound after connecting a soundbar to an HDMI ARC port? There is nothing to worry about. It happens due to device incompatibility, broken HDMI cable, defective HDMI port, technical errors, etc. In this article, we have described all the possible reasons for this problem and explained the solutions to troubleshoot it.
Reasons for No Sound on LG TV from HDMI ARC Connection
|The HDMI cable may not be connected firmly.
|Connect the cable to the HDMI ARC port.
|The right audio output is not selected.
|Change the Sound Out on the LG TV and Enable HDMI-CEC.
|The input source is not configured on the Soundbar.
|Change the Input to HDMI ARC.
|LG TV may run with outdated firmware.
|Update the LG TV firmware.
|Technical issues in the LG TV.
|Restart the LG TV.
|LG TV may have incorrect settings.
|Perform an A/V reset.
DIY Fixes for LG TV HDMI ARC No Sound
Follow these techniques if there is no sound on the LG TV when a device is connected to the HDMI ARC port.
Unmute the LG TV
If your TV is muted and the LG TV remote is not working, you can’t access the sound settings. Sometimes, the battery on your remote control may have drained. So check the remote battery and replace it if necessary.
If you can’t use the remote after replacing the battery, the remote’s IR emitter may be damaged. Replace the remote or use the LG ThinQ app to adjust the volume settings on the LG TV.
Power Cycle the LG TV
Most of the LG TV issues were rectified easily when we performed a soft reset on the LG TV. It is nothing but giving some time for LG TV to cool down.
1. Disconnect all auxiliary devices and unplug the LG TV power cable.
2. Hold the power button on the LG TV for 30 seconds.
3. After 15 minutes, plug in the cable and restart the LG TV.
Now connect the device to the TV’s HDMI ARC port and check whether the audio works.
Turn Off Smart Sound Mode
Newer LG TV models come with a Smart Sound feature, which automatically detects the movie and adjusts the volume based on it. Sometimes, it can also be why you can’t hear any sound after connecting the device to the HDMI ARC Port.
1. Launch the Home screen on your LG TV and click the Settings icon.
2. Go to All Settings and select the Sound tab from the menu.
3. Click on the Smart Sound Mode and turn it off.
Now, check whether you can hear sound after connecting a device to the TV’s HDMI ARC port.
Check the Connected Device
Sometimes, it is the connected device that may fail to send audio input to your LG Smart TV. To verify this, connect a speaker to the LG TV. If you can hear audio, the issue is with your connected device. You have to replace or repair the device.
Change the Cable/Port
Sometimes, it can be caused by loose cabling or a dirty port. Clean the port using a microfiber cloth and connect the cable properly. Another reason behind the lack of sound is the damaged/broken cable connected to the TV’s HDMI ARC port.
Luckily, using different and quality HDMI cables fixes the issue. If the problem is not with the cable, the ARC port may have been damaged on your LG TV. In such cases, connecting the cable to another port is the only solution.
Enable HDMI-CEC Setting
If the HDMI-CEC setting on your LG TV is disabled, you won’t hear sound from the connected device. So you need to enable HDMI-CEC.
1. Press the Settings key on your LG TV remote.
2. Go to All Settings and click on the General tab from the menu.
3. Go to the Simplink or HDMI-CEC and enable it.
Perform an A/V Reset
If you think the TV’s sound settings are wrong, performing an A/V reset will help.
1. Grab the LG Magic Remote and press the Mute button thrice.
2. From the pop-up screen, select the AV Reset option.
After that, check if you can hear sound on your LG TV.
Update LG TV Firmware
An outdated firmware on your LG TV could be the reason behind your LG TV’s lack of sound. Update the LG Smart TV to the latest firmware and connect the device to the HDMI ARC port again.
1. Open the Settings on your LG TV and go to All Settings.
2. Select the Support tab and choose Software Updates.
3. After that, click on the Check For Updates button.
4. Finally, hit Download and Install to start the update process.
Restart the LG TV
You have to restart the LG TV to reflect the changes if any audio settings were configured.
1. Hold the Power and Volume Down keys for 10-12 seconds.
2. Release the keys when the LG TV logo appears on the screen.
Once restarted, pair the LG Magic Remote. Check whether you can hear sound from the HDMI ARC-connected source.
Factory Reset LG TV
Factory reset is the final solution to fix the LG TV HDMI ARC no sound issue. This will remove all data and revert your LG TV settings to default. However, it is the best option to rectify the unknown error on your LG TV.
1. On the LG TV home screen, click the Settings icon.
2. Navigate to All Settings and select the General tab.
3. Click on Reset to Initial Settings to reset your LG TV.
Contact LG Customer Support
If none of the above fixes help you, you can contact LG TV Customer Support to find out the root cause of the issue. If you have queries about hardware damage on your LG TV, get help from the LG TV Service Center professional and repair it. Remember, if your LG TV is under warranty, you can repair it at no cost.
Check the cable for any loose connection and connect it properly to resolve the LG TV has sound but no picture issue.
The LG TV remote won’t work if the batteries are weak. Use physical buttons or the remote app to adjust the volume on the LG TV without a remote.