Some LG TV users reported that they are encountering a grey screen on their LG TV occasionally or permanently. This issue usually occurs if the TV cord has malfunctioned or due to a lack of power supply. It can even occur because of wrong picture settings, loose cabling, faulty HDMI ports, and software issues.
To fix it immediately, power cycle the LG TV by turning it off and unplugging the TV cord from the power socket. Then, turn on your LG TV and check if it works. If it does not work, don’t lose your hope. There are still some easy workarounds to rectify the gray screen issue on LG TVs.
Reasons Behind Grey Screen on LG TV
Here are some reasons that will make the LG TV half screen black or grey.
- If an external device is not connected properly
- Fluctuating power voltage
- The input device itself has a problem
- Wrongly selected Input
- If energy-saving mode is turned on
- Outdated LG TV firmware
How to Fix Grey Screen Issue on LG TV
Before contacting a technician, follow these troubleshooting methods to fix the grey screen issue on your LG TV.
Check the Cable
It is mandatory to connect the external devices correctly to receive pictures without any issues on your LG TV. Ensure to connect the cable with full tight. If it doesn’t work, you can confirm that the cable is damaged.
This is why your LG TV can’t be able to receive input from the connected cable. Check and clean any visible blockages in the ports or try using a different HDMI cable as an alternative.
Check Power Voltage
Insufficient power is also the cause for issues like dimming, too dark, and grey screen on your LG TV. To fix this, check the voltage on the corresponding port. If the voltage is low, try using a different socket that has the proper voltage.
Ensure to use stabilizers to protect your LG TV. It will disconnect the TV when the power voltage goes too low or too high. Hence, it will protect your LG TV from getting hardware damage if there is an inadequate power supply.
Choose the Right Input
Sometimes, the issue may arise if you haven’t selected the right input on LG TV. Remember to connect the compatible device to get pictures on your LG TV and not a grey screen. Follow the below guidelines to change the input on LG TV.
1. Press the Input button on your remote.
2. Highlight the Input that you’ve currently connected to your LG TV.
3. Press the OK button and the input is activated on your LG TV.
Turn Off Energy Saving Mode
You may have enabled energy-saving mode on your LG TV, to reduce energy consumption. However, disabling this feature on your LG TV may be helpful to get the pictures back on.
1. Press the Home button on your LG TV remote to launch the home screen.
2. Click on the Settings icon and select All Settings.
3. Navigate to the Picture tab and select the Energy Saving option.
4. Disable it and check whether the issue is resolved or not.
Update LG TV Firmware
The grey screen on LG TV may appear if the LG TV display setting is outdated. You need to update the LG TV firmware to the latest version.
1. Using the LG TV remote, press the Settings button.
2. Navigate to All Settings and go to the General tab.
3. Then select Software Update and hit the Check For Updates button.
4. If any update is available, you will be prompted to Download and Install.
Don’t turn off your LG TV until the update process is completed. Once done, restart your LG TV and start using it without issues.
Factory Reset LG TV
If the issue still persists, you can factory reset your LG TV to clear the grey screen issue. This will revert all the LG TV settings and remove everything including the installed apps. Make sure to back up all your user data before resetting.
1. Switch on your LG TV and go to the Settings menu.
2. Select the Support or General tab.
3. Click on Reset to Initial Settings.
If none of the above methods works out to fix the grey screen on your LG TV, it might be a hardware issue. We recommend users avoid hard fixes as a simple error would make your TV dysfunctional. So seek a professional to repair your LG Smart TV. For more related information, contact LG Customer Service.
Increase the contrast and adjust the color temperature to fix if the LG TV screen is black but with sound.
If LG TV has a black screen, you have to turn off power saving mode and check the cable quality by performing an HDMI cable test.