Is your LG Magic Remote disconnected suddenly and can’t pair it again? No worries. It may be caused due to drained batteries, hardware issues, temporary bugs, software glitches, or signal obstruction between the TV and the remote. In such cases, you don’t have to buy a replacement remote. Instead, you can try troubleshooting ideas to resolve the not pairing issue on your LG Magic Remote.
How to Fix LG Magic Remote Not Pairing Issue
After extensive research, we have identified the root causes and solutions to fix the remote pairing issue for different scenarios.
- LG Magic Remote Keeps Disconnecting
- LG Magic Remote is Not Registering
- Magic Remote Cursor Not Working
LG Magic Remote Keeps Disconnecting
Because of unknown errors, the LG Magic Remote may fail to pair. The following are the common reasons and solutions to rectify the issue.
- Drained batteries
- Signal interference
- Outdated firmware
- Errors caused in the TV
Here are some workarounds to fix if the remote keeps disconnecting by itself.
Replace the Batteries
The main reason for LG Magic Remote to stop working is the old batteries. The battery life depends on your regular usage. Sometimes, it may drain faster due to over-usage. Notably, there is a simple trick to identify the battery power.
Usually, you can see the light on the power button while pressing the remote keys. If there is no light, it indicates that the remote is running out of charge. In this case, you need to replace the old batteries with newer ones to fix the issue.
Clear the Obstructions
LG Magic Remote works with the help of infrared and Bluetooth. However, due to electronic interferences, the remote may fail to transmit the signals to the TV receiver. For instance, if you have placed a soundbar in front of the LG TV, it will obstruct the signal so that the LG TV won’t receive an input to pair the remote.
Power Reset LG TV
Sometimes, remote pairing issues may occur due to unknown errors caused in the TV. You can power reset the LG TV to fix the problem. Eject the LG TV power cord from the source and leave it unplugged for 60 seconds.
Following that, pop out the batteries from the LG Magic Remote. After waiting for 60 seconds, plug the TV cord back in, and re-insert the batteries into the remote. Again, pair the LG Magic Remote and check now if it works.
Update the LG TV
You can also update the LG TV OS because the outdated firmware on your LG TV lead to pairing problem or performance issues on your LG TV remote. Here are some steps to update the firmware of your LG TV.
- Navigate to the Settings of your LG TV
- Tap on the General option on the left pane.
- Choose the About This TV from the list of options.
- Hit on the Check for Update option and if there is any update available then download the update.
LG Magic Remote is Not Registering
Suppose you have trouble while pairing the remote with your LG TV, it is due to the following reasons.
- Faulty remote
- Not in a pairing range
- Unknown errors
Here’s what you should do if the LG Magic Remote is not pairing with the TV.
Check for Physical Damage
If you can’t pair the remote, then it may be exposed to physical damage. The only solution is to buy a replacement remote by contacting LG support. This helps if your LG remote is within a warranty period.
Move the Remote Closer to the TV
When the distance between the remote and the TV becomes longer remote may disconnect from the TV. For that, you should maintain the Magic Remote within 10 meters of your TV. And you must move the remote from any electronic devices or appliances which emit radiation that interrupts the IR signals.
Pair the Remote
If you have purchased a new remote or performed a factory reset, you need to pair your LG Magic Remote to the TV to start controlling it.
- Turn on your LG Smart TV and wait 10 seconds to boot up.
- Aim the Magic Remote at the TV and press the Wheel (OK) button.
- If the remote is registered successfully, you will get a confirmation message on the screen.
- If not, switch off and on your LG TV and repeat the same steps.
Re-register the Remote
In case the LG Magic Remote is not functioning after pairing, you can re-register the remote to fix the issue.
- Press the Smart Home and Back buttons on the remote and hold them for 5 seconds. This will initialize the remote for pairing.
- Point the remote at the LG TV and press the Wheel (OK) button.
- You will get a message if the Magic Remote Control is registered.
- For re-registering, press and hold the Back button for 5 seconds.
Reset LG Magic Remote
Due to unknown errors, the LG Magic Remote may stop working sometimes. To fix this, you can reset the LG TV remote.
- Press the Home and Back buttons for 5 seconds.
- Press the Exit button and keep holding it for 30 seconds.
- Keep hold of the Guide button for 30 seconds.
LG Magic Remote Cursor Not Working
In some cases, you may not see the cursor on the LG TV screen due to several reasons, even though the remote is paired.
- Electronics interference
- Internal error
These are the ways to fix if the LG Magic Remote cursor is not working.
Shake the Remote
It is important to keep your LG Magic Remote a little away from appliances like electronic stabilizers, fluorescent lamps, and microwave ovens. It can interfere with the remote’s signals, and it makes the cursor disappear sometimes. If the cursor disappears, you can shake the remote right and left to make it reappear.
Reset A/V Settings
If the volume button on the LG Magic Remote is not working, resetting the audio and video settings is recommended.
- Press the Mute button on the remote continuously 3 times.
- Click AV Reset from the list of buttons.
- You will see Resetting AV values notification on the TV screen.
Use the LG ThinQ App
If the remote is found defective, you can use a smartphone to control your LG TV. LG ThinQ App is the official remote app to control all LG Smart TVs.
- Connect your LG Smart TV to the same WIFI network as your smartphone.
- Install the LG ThinQ app on your device from the Play Store or App Store.
- Open the LG ThinQ app and choose TV from the list of products.
- Select your LG TV from the on-screen prompt. It will display a code on the TV screen.
- Enter the code on your smartphone and tap Next.
- If the connection is successful, tap Move to Home.
- Now, click on TV to get the remote control interface.
Start controlling your LG Smart TV without a remote.
Use a Universal Remote
If you are not interested in using the application then you can buy a new remote control for your LG TV. Instead of purchasing the new Magic Remote for a high price, you can buy the best universal remote for LG TVs that helps you control your TV and other electronic devices. Also, ensure to program the universal remote with the LG TV remote codes.
Contact LG Support
If the LG Magic Remote is not working after trying all these fixes, there is still one last solution. You can directly seek help from the LG Support Team. If necessary, you can click on LG Online Chat to get assistance via chat. For convenience, you can even call 850-999-4934 or 800-243-0000 between 8 AM to 9 PM all day.
Sometimes, the pointer of the Magic Remote will disappear which is due to some temporary bugs or glitches. To fix that, you can register and re-register the LG Magic Remote.
You can buy a universal remote for LG TVs and use it as an alternative.
Sometimes the Magic Remote of your LG TV may disconnect suddenly, it may be due to a malfunction on the Bluetooth of your remote. For that, you can try restarting and resetting the remote to resolve the Bluetooth problem.
If the mic of the LG Magic remote becomes unresponsive, it may be due to dust or dirt inside the mic hole or a hardware issue on your remote.
While using the LG Magic Remote, if you notice the power light stays on, it means that the batteries are drained or weak. So replace the batteries to fix the issue.
If the LG TV remote has a red light and not working, you have to replace the batteries to fix the issue.
Occasionally, you may face the wheel not working on the LG Magic Remote. It may be caused due to weak batteries, interference between the TV and remote, or defective hardware.