Does your LG Magic Remote cursor become unresponsive? No need to worry. The cursor on the LG Magic Remote may not be working due to weak batteries, defective hardware, or stuck buttons. When the remote cursor doesn’t appear, you won’t be able to scroll through titles in a particular streaming app. However, there are helpful workarounds to resolve the issue. If the remote wheel has been damaged and dysfunctional, it is better to buy a new LG Magic Remote.
Why is LG Magic Remote Cursor Not Working
There might be a malfunction on your remote and that may be one of the reasons why your LG Magic remote cursor is not working. To prevent such issues from happening again, you should know the reasons.
- Insufficient or weak batteries.
- Interference while using LG Magic Remote.
- Pairing issue on the remote control.
- Software glitches or bugs on the TV.
- Buttons not responding or stuck in between the gaps.
- Outdated LG TV firmware would affect remote pairing.
How to Fix LG Magic Remote Cursor Not Working
The following workarounds will help you solve if the cursor doesn’t work on your LG Magic Remote.
Check for Interferences
Ensure that there should not be any interference while you use the cursor of your LG Magic Remote. In case of interference, you won’t be able to control your TV using the LG Magic Remote’s cursor. It is recommended to keep RF-based electronics and other Bluetooth devices a little away from the TV.
Check the IR Emitter
If you have a replacement remote, probably it may work using infrared signals. In the remote cursor fails to work, maybe the IR emitter on the remote has become faulty. So you can check whether the IR emitter works using a simple test.
1. Open the camera app on your smartphone.
2. Face the camera towards the IR blaster of the remote.
3. Tap on any button on the remote.
4. If you can see the purple or red light from the TV remote on the phone screen, the remote is good. Else, you need to buy a new remote control.
Replace the Batteries
Maybe the batteries on your LG TV remote are weak and that’s why the remote cursor won’t appear. If it’s the scenario, remove the old batteries from the remote control and replace them with newer ones. Later, check if the LG Magic Remote is working without any problems.
Shake LG Magic Remote
Many users have reported that the cursor is not appearing on their LG TVs. If it’s the case, shake your LG Magic Remote to the right and left and press the Home button. If you don’t see the cursor on your LG TV, there might be a problem with your remote. On some TVs, the pointer will instantly appear when you press the Wheel button. If the cursor is not appearing at all, the remote may be defective.
Reset LG Magic Remote
If the LG Magic Remote is not working even after changing new batteries, you can finally reset LG TV remote to fix the issue.
- Hit the Home + Settings button on your remote simultaneously. This will unpair your magic remote.
- Once you receive a prompt about de-registration, press the Wheel button on your remote to repair it.
Power Cycle LG TV
If you face temporary bugs or software issues on the TV or Magic remote, you can fix the issue with the power cycle method.
1. Power off the TV with a physical button and unplug the power cable from the socket.
2. Keep it unplugged and wait for 3-5 minutes.
3. Next, plug in the power cable and switch on your TV.
4. Check if the LG TV remote is now responding and the cursor is working fine.
Power Cycle LG Magic Remote
Power cycling not only resolves the LG TV remote not pairing issue, but it will also help to make the remote cursor work.
1. At first, eject the batteries from the remote.
2. Then, wait for a few minutes.
3. Now insert the batteries into the battery compartment and close the cap.
4. After a minute, pair the remote with your TV and check whether the remote is working or not.
Update LG TV Firmware
There can be bugs on your LG TV and it can be one of the reasons why your magic remote’s cursor is not responding. This minor bug can be fixed easily with the updation of LG TV to the latest version. Here are the simple steps to do the same:
Go to Settings > All Settings > Support > Software Update > Check for Updates. Based on your internet speed, the LG TV will take some time to update the firmware to the latest version.
Reset your LG TV
There may be some serious issues with your LG TV. This can be a reason why your LG Magic Remote is not working. Try turning off your LG TV for quite some time and turn it on again. If it doesn’t work, it is better to reset your LG TV.
Go to Settings > General or Support > Reset to Initial Settings.
After resetting the LG TV, you should pair LG Magic Remote to make it work.
Replace your LG TV Remote
In case there is a fault with your LG Magic remote, you need to check for a replacement. You can find a lot of the best LG Magic remotes in the online market. If you think that the original remote is expensive, you can buy a cheaper universal remote for LG TV on reputed e-commerce sites like Amazon.
Use the LG ThinQ App
If you don’t have the option to control your LG TV, you can check out some of the best remote apps for LG TV. Using any of these apps, you can control your TV effortlessly. The only thing is to connect your LG TV and Android or iOS on which you have installed the remote app to the same WiFi network.
2. Connect your LG TV to the same WiFi network as your smartphone.
3. Open the LG ThinQ app on your smartphone.
4. Complete the login process with the LG TV account.
5. Choose the +Add device button on the home screen.
6. Tap on the Select Device option and choose TV from the list of devices.
7. A passcode will be displayed on the TV and enter the passcode on the application.
8. Thus you can control the LG TV with your smartphone.
Contact LG Customer Support
If the troubleshooting methods discussed in this article don’t fix the issue, you can finally contact LG Customer Support. You can contact them either through call or chat. They will guide you to fix any kind of remote problems even if your LG Magic Remote fails to pair with your TV.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. You can troubleshoot if the LG remote cursor not working by yourself.
Yes, the LG TV magic remote requires Bluetooth to pair with a webOS TV.
If your remote cursor suddenly disappears, you can shake the LG Magic Remote left and right to make it reappear.
Yes. You can either use the remote app or physical buttons to control LG TV without a remote.