With the Jellyfin server, you can store your favorite movies, TV shows, and music files on the cloud. Then, you will be able to access your favorite entertainment content anytime you want with the Jellyfin Client app. The only requirement is that you need to connect both the Jellyfin client and server app to the same wifi network. With this requirement satisfied, you can easily install and access Jellyfin on LG TV.
Note that the Jellyfin app only supports the LG TV with webOS version 5.0 or later. If you don’t have the webOS version that could run the Jellyfin app, you can use the Chromecast device. Using the Chromecast device, you can cast the Jellyfin app on your LG Smart TV. Otherwise, you have the option to screen mirror the Jellyfin app to your TV using your Android or iOS devices.
Where can I Install the Jellyfin Server?
To stream on Jellyfin, you need to set up its server. After that only, you can stream your favorites anytime. So, here are the devices where you can install the Jellyfin Server on:
You can install the Jellyfin server on your preferred device from its official website.
Once you install the Jellyfin server on your device, launch it and follow the on-screen instructions to set up the server. After that, upload your favorite movies, TV shows, or music files. Later that, you can follow the steps below to install the Jellyfin Client app on your TV to stream your favorites anytime.
How to Install and Use Jellyfin on LG Smart TV
Here are the steps you need to follow to install the Jellyfin app on your LG Smart TV:
1. From the LG Smart TVs home screen, use your remote and navigate to LG Content Store or Apps tile to launch it.
2. Browse for the Jellyfin app using the Search Bar.
3. Select the Jellyfin app from the search result and hit the Install button.
4. Within a couple of minutes, the Jellyfin app will get installed on your TV.
5. Launch the Jellyfin app after installing it.
6. Sign in with your account.
7. Browse for your favorite movie or TV show and start to watch them on your LG Smart TV.
Note: To access the content available on your Jellyfin account, you need to connect the LG Smart TV and its server-installed device to the same wifi network. Also, the Jellyfin server app should run in the background.
How to Watch Jellyfin on LG Smart TV using Casting or Screen Mirroring
As an alternative way, you can screen mirror the Jellyfin app to LG Smart TV. For that, you have two methods. They are:
- Cast Jellyfin to LG TV from Android devices
- Screen Mirror Jellyfin to LG TV using iPad
Cast Jellyfin App to LG TV from Android Devices
Before you follow the steps below, you need to buy a Chromecast device from any of the online markets like Amazon. After that, you can follow the steps below to cast the Jellyfin app.
Ensure that you have connected the Jellyfin server, Android device, and Chromecast device to the same wifi network.
1. Connect your Android device and Chromecast device connected with LG TV to the same wifi network.
2. Get to the Play Store and install the Jellyfin app.
3. Launch the Jellyfin app on your device.
4. Play any content you want and tap on the Cast icon from the upper right corner.
4. From the available devices list, tap on your Chromecast device.
5. Enable the permissions that you see on your TV screen if required.
6. Finally, the content you choose will directly play on your LG TV.
Screen Mirror Jellyfin to LG Smart TV
If you don’t have a Chromecast device, you can use the screen mirroring method to share the screen of your Android device with LG TV. After that, you can install the Jellyfin app on your Android phone and screen mirror the app to your LG TV.
1. Search and install the Jellyfin app on your Android phone from the Play Store.
2. Swipe down your Android phone’s screen from up to down to bring the Notification Panel down.
3. Locate and hit the Cast icon and then choose your LG Smart TV’s name from the available devices list.
4. Ensure to accept the screen mirroring request on your LG Smart TV.
5. Then, launch the Jellyfin app and sign in with your account.
6. Choose any of your favorite movies or TV show and watch them on your LG Smart TV.
Screen Mirror Jellyfin App to LG TV using iPad
Make sure to enable AirPlay on LG TV and follow the steps below. Note that the Jellyfin app is only available for iPad.
1. Initially, connect your iPad and LG TV to the same wifi network.
2. Install the Jellyfin app from the App Store.
3. Swipe down the Control Center and hit the Screen Mirroring icon.
4. An AirPlay Passcode will appear on the TV screen. Note it down.
5. Input the AirPlay Passcode you see on your TV screen on your iOS device.
6. Doing this will screen mirror your entire iPad’s screen to LG TV.
7. Launch the Jellyfin app and sign in to your account.
8. Play any of your favorites and watch them on your LG TV.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. You can install and access the Jellyfin app on your LG TV for free.
No. You can’t install the Jellyfin app on LG TVs webOS version 4.0. But you have the option to screen mirror the Jellyfin app to LG TV from Android or iOS devices.