AirPlay lets you wirelessly stream audio, video, and photos from an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch to the TV. Apple AirPlay feature is compatible with LG TV models (2018 or later) running webOS 4.0 and up. For this feature to work, you should connect your LG TV to WiFi which should be the same as your Apple device.
In this guide, you will learn how to turn on and use AirPlay on an LG Smart TV.
List of AirPlay 2-Enabled LG TVs
The following LG TVs have native support for AirPlay 2.
|Year of Manufacture||AirPlay 2 Compatible LG TV Model|
|2022 (webOS 22)||OLED: All OLED Models|
QNED: All QNED Models
UHD: UQ Series, NANO Series
|2021 (webOS 6.0)||OLED: All OLED Models|
QNED: All QNED Models
UHD: UP Series, NANO Series
|2020 (webOS 5.0)||OLED: BX/CX/GX/WX/ZX/RX Series|
UHD: UN85, UN73, UN71, UN70, UN69 Series
NanoCell: Nano 99, 97, 95, 90, 85, 80 Series
|2019 (webOS 4.5)||OLED: B9/C9/E9/W9/Z9 Series|
UHD: UM80, UM75, UM73, UM71, UM69 Series
NanoCell: SM99, SM95, SM90, SM86, SM81 Series
|2018 (webOS 4.0)||OLED: B8/C8/E8/W8/Z8 Series|
UHD: UK62 series or up, UK7 Series
SuperUHD: SK 9, 8 Series
Difference Between AirPlay and AirPlay 2
AirPlay 2 is an upgrade to AirPlay that allows streaming audio to multiple devices at a time. With AirPlay 2, you can even play different songs in different rooms using multiple HomePods by configuring HomeKit on LG TV.
How to Turn on AirPlay on LG Smart TV
(1) Turn on your LG TV and connect your TV and iOS device to the same WiFi network.
(2) Navigate to the home screen by pressing the Home button on your remote.
(3) Select the Home Dashboard from the list of options.
(4) Again, click on the Home Dashboard tile.
(5) Locate and select the AirPlay option from the list of options.
(6) You will be directed to the AirPlay & Homekit Settings.
(7) Select the AirPlay option and turn On the feature.
(8) Click the Required Code field and select First Time Only.
Note: You can select the Every Time option to enter the code every time you are using the AirPlay on an LG TV.
That’s it. You have successfully enabled AirPlay on your webOS TV.
How to AirPlay iPhone/iPad on LG Smart TV
(1) Turn on your LG TV. Ensure to connect the LG TV to a WiFi network.
(2) Launch the App Store on your iOS device.
(3) Click the Search icon and download an AirPlay-compatible app.
Note: Here, we have chosen the HBO Max app to explain AirPlay mirroring.
(4) Launch the AirPlay-compatible app you downloaded on your iOS device.
(5) Login with your account credentials.
(6) Select and play the video you need to view on your TV.
(7) Click the AirPlay icon that appears at the top right corner of the app.
(8) Choose your LG Smart TV Name from the available devices.
(9) If you use the AirPlay feature for the first time, a code will be displayed on your TV.
(10) Enter the code on your iOS device.
Now, you can start streaming the content from your iOS to the LG Smart TV.
How to Enable AirPlay on LG TV with QR Code
To pair your mobile and TV with the HomeKit QR code, you should install the Home app on your iOS device.
1. Connect your LG Smart TV and iPhone to the same WiFi network.
2. Head to Home Dashboard > AirPlay & HomeKit Settings on the TV.
3. Click on the Setup HomeKit option.
4. You will receive a QR code with 8 digit number.
5. Now, install the Home app from the App Store of your iOS.
6. Launch the Home app on your iOS and click the Add Accessory option from the home screen to scan the QR code displayed on your TV.
7. Now, your TV will be paired with your iOS device.
8. Set up and customize the input names and the room locations of your TV.
9. Once you have set up your TV with the Home app, the name of your LG TV will be displayed on the homepage of the Home app.
Start streaming your favorites on the LG TV with the help of HomeKit settings.
How to Screen Mirror iPhone/iPad on LG Smart TV
Apart from screening particular media content, you can stream your Apple device screen using the mirroring option.
1: Connect your LG Smart TV and iOS device to the same WiFi network.
2: Swipe down from the top right corner or swipe up to open the Control Center of your iOS device.
3. Hit the Screen mirroring icon and wait for the device to scan for the available devices.
4: Select your LG TV from the list of devices.
5: Input the code displayed on your TV.
Now, you can share your iOS screen with your LG Smart TV.
How to Use AirPlay on LG TV from Mac
1: Connect your TV and your MacBook to the same WiFi network.
2. Select the content that you need to view on your TV
3: Click the Control Center icon at the top of the menu bar on Mac. Then select Screen Mirroring from the list of options.
4: Select your LG Smart TV from the available devices.
5: Key in the code shown on your TV to connect your Mac and TV.
6: Your Mac screen will be displayed on your LG Smart TV.
Note: If you can’t see the AirPlay icon on the menu bar, enable it by clicking on the Apple icon→ System Preferences → Displays → Show Mirroring option on the menu bar when available.
How to Fix AirPlay Not Working on LG Smart TV
Many users have reported that AirPlay on LG TV not working at times. It may be due to technical issues, temporary bugs, etc. To fix that, you can follow these troubleshooting methods on your LG TV and iOS.
|Missing AirPlay feature||Remove the paired AirPlay devices on your TV and re-pair them again|
|AirPlay not receiving||Ensure to connect your LG TV and Apple device to the same WiFi network|
|Cannot enable AirPlay on LG TV||Restart your LG Smart TV|
|Cannot enable AirPlay on iOS or Mac||Restart your iOS or MacBook|
|Couldn’t pair mobile and TV||Remove the paired AirPlay device on your TV and re-pair it again|
|Videos are slow, while AirPlay from mobile||Power cycle your WiFi Router|
|AirPlay video not working on LG TV||Update your LG Smart TV firmware|
|WiFi name not displaying on the TV||Reset Network Settings on LG Smart TV|
It occurs if WiFi signals are weak to both devices. For stable WiFi connectivity, connect your LG TV and Apple TV to a 2.4 GHz WiFi frequency band.
Yes. You can AirPlay your favorite media files without Apple TV if your LG TV is AirPlay 2-enabled.
Audio problems may occur on LG TV while AirPlay due to software glitches. Restart your LG TV and Apple device to fix the issue,