In general, LG releases updates for webOS once every year. The latest webOS software version for LG Smart TV is webOS 23. If you are using the older firmware on your LG TV, you can use this guide to update your LG Smart TV.
An important point to note is that the webOS 23 is available only for LG 2023 models. There is no news for the older LG models.
There are two different ways to update your LG Smart TV. You can directly update the TV from the Settings menu. You can also use a USB drive to download the firmware and connect the USB drive to update the TV.
This guide will teach you all the possible ways to update your LG TV.
webOS – Over the Years
From the start to 2021, webOS is named from the numeric order, from webOS 1.0 to webOS 6.0. But with the Feb 2022 update, LG broke the pattern by naming the version webOS 22 (named after the year of release). The latest version (webOS 23) was released on Feb 2023.
How to Update LG Smart TV [webOS]
Connect your LG Smart TV to WiFi and follow the steps below.
1. Open Settings on your LG Smart TV.
2. Select All Settings from the Settings menu.
3. Click the Support or General option.
4. Select About This TV from the menu.
5. Now, click on Check for Updates.
6. If a new update is available, click Download and Install.
7. Click the Yes button to update your LG TV.
Once it gets downloaded, turn off the LG TV for 10 seconds. After that, turn on the LG TV to finish installing the latest update.
How to Update LG Smart TV Using USB
You can also update the LG TV firmware manually with the help of a USB storage device. For this to work, ensure you have the following.
- A USB drive with 1GB or higher storage space
- A desktop or laptop with internet connection
Here are the steps to update LG WebOS TV using a USB drive.
1. Turn on your desktop/laptop and open a web browser.
2. Go to the LG Software & Drivers website.
3. Enter your LG TV model number and search for the latest firmware.
4. Download the LG TV software update file on your PC. The respective files will be saved in a zip folder.
5. Insert a USB drive into your PC. Ensure the USB drive has sufficient storage space.
6. Right-click on the zip file and extract it.
7. Now, copy-paste the extracted file to the USB drive.
8. Once the process is over, safely eject the USB drive from your PC.
9. Now, insert the USB drive into the USB port on your LG Smart TV. Make sure that the TV is turned off.
10. Turn on the LG TV. It will detect the firmware. Click Install to download the firmware on your LG TV.
11. Once completed, turn off the LG TV for 10 seconds.
After that, turn on the LG Smart TV to install the latest update.
How to Update LG Smart TV [NetCast OS]
The NetCast is the older model of LG TV. LG has stopped manufacturing the NetCast models. But you will get security updates now and then.
1. On your LG TV home screen, click on the Settings icon.
2. In the settings page, click on All Settings.
3. Now, select the Support menu.
4. Click on Software Update.
5. Select Check Update Version.
6. If the update is available, click the Update button to install it.
How to Turn On Automatic Updates on LG Smart TV
With the Automatic update feature, your LG TV will automatically get updates when new updates are released.
1. Navigate to the home screen of your LG Smart TV.
2. Tap on the Settings icon on the top.
3. Move down and select the All Settings option.
4. Choose General and click on the About this TV option.
5. Then you can enable Allow Automatic Updates toggle, and your TV will automatically update to the latest version.
New Features in webOS 23
In webOS 23, LG introduced many new features and made some changes to the home screen. Most of the changes are aimed at improving the user interface.
- Using Quick Cards, you can customize the content and services that appear on the home screen.
- The Ai Concierge supports the recommendations that appear on the home screen.
- With the new update, you can customize your profile icon with pictures and avatars.
- All the Smart Home settings on the LG TV are powered with Matter (The New Smart Home Connectivity Standard).
Can’t Update LG Smart TV – How to Fix the Issue
LG TV users may face issues while updating the firmware at times. It is a common thing, which might be due to low storage space, internet issues, etc. Follow these workarounds to resolve the issue.
Fixes to Resolve Unstable Internet Connection
- Connect the TV to a stable and high-speed internet.
- Connect the LG TV to a wired internet connection instead of WiFi.
- Disconnect other devices using the same WiFi.
- Keep your router closer to the TV to increase the signal strength.
Fixes for Low Internal Storage
Other General Fixes to Try
- A factory reset on the LG TV may fix the issue.
- It is a better option to disable the Quick Start+ option.
- Restart your LG TV to clear temporary glitches.
- Try changing the regional language to check if that resolves the issue while updating the apps.
You can directly update apps on LG Smart TV using the LG Content Store.
To check the webOS version on LG TV: Launch the Settings on LG TV → General → TV information → See webOS TV version.
Yes. Go to LG Content Store → Select Apps → Choose Netflix → Click Update.
Open LG Content Store → Click Apps → Select ITV Hub or ITVX → Tap Update.
Launch LG Content Store → Tap Apps → Choose Hulu → Click Update.