Is the LG Smart TV remote not working due to weak batteries, and you don’t have backup batteries? Don’t worry. There are numerous ways to turn on the LG TV without a remote. You can use physical buttons to turn on the LG TV, adjust the volume, change the channels, etc. If your LG TV doesn’t have panel buttons, install the LG TV remote app on your smartphone and use it as a virtual remote.
In this article, you will learn all the quickest ways to turn on the LG TV without a remote controller.
How to Turn On LG TV using Physical Buttons
Almost all LG Smart TVs have dedicated physical buttons, which you can use in emergencies. You can find these buttons at the bottom right for an older LG TV.
1: Plug your TV cable into the power socket and turn on the switch.
2: You can find the power button of the LG TV in the bottom center (beneath the LG logo).
3. Press the Power button to turn on your LG smart TV.
After turning on your TV, you can use the Volume +, -, Channel +, -, and Input buttons to control your TV without a remote.
How to Turn On LG TV Using the Remote App
Even though you can turn on your TV with physical buttons, the remote helps you control the TV from where you have been seated. You can use the LG ThinQ app to control your LG smart TV.
1: Install LG ThinQ on an Android or iPhone from the respective app store.
2: Connect your LG TV to WiFi, which should be the same as a smartphone.
3: Open the app and sign in with your LG account or a social media account.
4: Click on the + button from the home screen of the LG ThinQ app.
5: Tap the Select Device option on the next page.
6: Click the TV icon under the Select Manually section.
7: Select your LG Smart TV name from the list of available devices.
8: Now, you can see the activation code displayed on your TV.
9: Enter the code on the LG ThinQ app to pair your TV and click the OK button.
10: Once your TV and mobile are paired, you can see the remote interface on your mobile screen.
11: Now, you can start controlling your LG TV. Press the Power button to turn on/off the TV.
Functions of the LG ThinQ App
Once you have connected your TV with the LG ThinQ app on your mobile, you can fully control your TV with the LG ThinQ app. The primary functions of the LG ThinQ app are mentioned below.
- Power button – Allows you to turn On/Off your TV.
- Volume button – Helps you to increase and decrease the volume.
- Home button – Direct you to the home screen.
- Mute button – Volume will get shut down.
- Channel button – Change the channels of your TV
- Settings button – Customize your TV settings.
- Input button – Helps you to switch HDMI or USB.
- Back button – Go back to the last action you have made.
- Navigation keys – Helps you to select up (↑), down (↓), left(←), and right (→).
- Voice control – Control your TV by pressing the voice assistant button.
How to Turn On LG TV Using Third-Party Remote Apps
If the LG ThinQ app fails to work with your TV, you can use a third-party remote application to turn on and control your LG TV. There are many third-party apps available on the Play Store that help you control your LG Smart TV. Here are our recommendations for you.
How to Turn on LG TV Using Voice Commands
You can use the Direct Voice Recognition feature to turn on the LG TV via voice commands. To use this feature, enable Voice Recognition using these steps.
For webOS 22 / webOS 6.0 / webOS 5.0
- Go to Settings → All Settings → General → AI Service → Voice Recognition Settings (or) Voice Recognition → Turn ON Voice Response.
To turn on the LG TV via voice, say “Hi LG” and “Turn on the TV.”
How to Turn on LG TV Using a Gaming Console
You can also use a gaming console to switch on the LG TV without a remote.
Using PlayStation 4
1. Ensure you connect the PS4 to your LG TV using an HDMI cable.
2. Turn on the PS4 and head to Settings.
3. Choose System Settings → Enable HDMI Device Link.
The next time you turn on the PS4, it will also turn on the LG TV.
Using Nintendo Switch
1. Use the dock to connect the Nintendo Switch to your LG TV.
2. Go to Settings on Nintendo Switch.
3. Select System → TV settings → Turn ON Match TV Power State.
Hereafter, turning on the Nintendo Switch will turn on the LG TV.
Using Xbox One
1. Ensure you connect Xbox One and LG TV using an HDMI-CEC cable.
2. Click the Xbox button on the controller. Head to Profile & System.
3. Go to Settings → System → General → TV & Display → TV & AV Power option.
4. Check the HDMI-CEC and Console turns on other devices check boxes.
Purchase a Universal Remote
If you feel the remote is convenient, purchase a universal remote for LG TV rather than an expensive replacement remote. You can control the LG TV and other devices with one universal remote. Also, you must program a universal remote using the LG TV remote codes to start using it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Install and use the remote app to turn on the LG TV without buttons.
Go to Settings → All Settings → General → Network → Internet Connection → Wired/WiFi Connection → Select WiFi → Enter the password to connect the LG TV to the WiFi with a remote.