HBO Max regularly updates worth-watching content that you would never miss. But at some point, you may see that the LG TV has only sound but no picture. Are you worried about the HBO Max app not working on LG TV? Luckily, you aren’t alone. Even though such problems occur due to a plethora of reasons, we recommend troubleshooting them with a handful of fixes.
What Causes HBO Max Not Working on LG TV
Issues like HBO Max content not loading, crashes often while streaming, or video keeps buffering are very common. Whatever the problem could be it is important to identify the root causes to resolve it. Most probably the following factors could be the causes of the error.
- Unstable internet connection
- Device incompatibility
- HBO Max server outage
- Corrupted cache files on the app
- Insufficient Storage
- Minor glitch on the app
- Outdated HBO Max app or LG TV firmware
How to Fix HBO Max Not Working on LG TV
Here are possible fixes to make HBO Max work again without any difficulties.
Restart Your WiFi Router
HBO Max is a streaming service that requires a stable network connection to work smoothly. As a first and foremost fix, you should test your LG TV network speed.
You need a minimum download speed of 5 Mbps for 1080p streaming and 50 Mbps for a 4K streaming experience. If your network speed was so slow than the required limit, do the following.
- Restart your WiFi router.
- Try switching to a wired network.
- Remove all other devices connected to your Wifi router.
- Move your WiFi router closer to your LG TV.
Check Device Compatibility
The HBO Max is compatible only with the LG TV models from 2018 or later with webOS 4.0 or higher. Users with those models can get HBO Max on LG TV from the Content Store. If your LG TV model satisfies all these requirements then the problem is not compatibility so, move on to the next fix.
If your LG TV is incompatible, you can stream HBO Max using any of the following streaming devices.
- Amazon Fire TV
- Apple TV
- Google Chromecast
Check HBO Max Server
HBO Max will surely not work if the server is down or out. Check the HBO Max server status by using the third-party website like Downdetector.
Alternatively, you can check the HBO Max server status using social media platforms like Twitter. If you find that HBO Max has reported its server outage, you should wait until the problem gets resolved.
Uninstall and Reinstall the HBO Max App
Is HBO Max not even opening? Uninstall and reinstall the updated HBO Max app on your LG TV to fix the minor glitches in the app.
1. Press the Home button on your LG Magic remote.
2. Select HBO Max from the list of apps.
3. Click on the X icon at the top of the app.
4. HBO Max will be deleted once it popped on the TV screen.
5. Now, go to LG Content Store, search and reinstall the HBO Max app.
6. Log in to your account and start streaming.
Still not working? Scroll down to the next fix.
Clear the HBO Max Cache on LG TV
The mischievous corrupted files would often spoil your good working HBO Max. You can either close the app on your LG Smart TV and reopen it to fix technical errors. Otherwise, you should clear the cache on LG TV to delete corrupted files.
1. Press the Home button on your LG TV remote.
2. Click Settings on your remote to open the System Settings.
3. Open the Application Manager to view all the installed apps on your LG TV.
4. Find and select HBO Max from the list of apps.
5. Tap on the Clear Cache option to remove the cached data from HBO Max.
Precaution! Beware not to click Clear data or else all your stored data on the HBO Max app will get permanently deleted.
Try relaunching the app to check if it works. No sign of rectification? Don’t worry still we have more fixes to make it work.
Use Memory Optimizer
Like the HBO Max cache your LG TV might have cache files of other apps too. Another reason could be the insufficient storage on your LG Smart TV. So, use the Memory Optimizer on your LG TV to delete the barely used apps and clear the unwanted app data.
1. Press the Settings button on your remote to go to settings.
2. Click on All Settings and select the General option with the wrench tool icon.
3. Choose OLED Care and tap on Device Self Care.
4. Select the Memory Optimizer option and click Start.
Once optimized you can stream HBO Max with no issues.
Restart your LG TV
The software glitches on your LG Smart TV might cause trouble to the functionality of the apps. It is due to the overloaded internal memory which we have already optimized and the crashed LG TV OS. To fix this you need to just restart your LG TV.
- Turn off and on your LG TV
- Unplug and Plug-in back the power cord of your LG TV
- Press and hold Power and Volume Down buttons on your LG TV remote for about 15 seconds then release.
- No remote? Press and hold the Power button on the LG TV for at least 10 seconds.
Update LG TV Firmware
Internal bugs on your LG TV could be one factor for HBO Max not working. In order to clear the bugs and experience the new features you should update your LG Firmware to the latest version.
1. Press the Settings button on your LG TV remote.
2. Open All Settings and click Support.
3. Click on the Software Update option from the menu.
4. There you can see your TV Software version.
5. If an update is available tap on Download and Install.
Turn on Auto Update if you want your LG TV to get updated automatically when an update is available.
Alternative Fixes For HBO Max Not Working on LG Smart TV
If all the above-mentioned fixes fail, try out some other possible solutions.
Accept LG’s User Agreement
You should accept all the user agreements to make some LG TV features and apps work.
1. Go to Settings and click on All Settings.
2. Select General Settings.
3. Click on About this TV option.
4. Click and open the User Agreements tab.
5. Allow and Accept all the agreements.
HBO Max won’t work if you are using a VPN that HBO Max has managed to block. If you are using a VPN, turn it off while streaming HBO Max on your LG TV.
1. Open the VPN app on your LG TV.
2. Locate the disconnect button.
3. Click on that button to turn off the VPN connection.
Factory Reset Your LG TV
If none of the fixes worked for you, factory reset the LG TV. By doing so, all the customized settings and installed apps will get erased and restored to defaults. Note that, you need to install HBO Max once again from the LG Content Store.
Alert Note! If you are completely fine with deleting all the installed applications, updated settings and features, you can proceed with factory resetting.
1. Go to Settings on your LG TV.
2. Choose All Settings and click on General Settings.
3. Select System from the options.
3. Click on Reset to Initial Settings.
4. Enter the password and click OK to confirm.
As HBO Max is compatible only with the LG TV models starting from 2018, you can’t install HBO Max on older LG TV models.
It may be due to technical errors, reboot your LG TV to make it work.
Uninstall and reinstall the HBO Max app on your iPhone. Sign in again and start streaming without any issues.