Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) is one of the best features on LG TV that lets you share content between compatible devices. It allows you to share pictures, audio, and video files among devices using a wireless network.
Using DLNA, you can share content from your smartphone or PC to your LG TV. DLNA feature is a built-in feature on most LG TV models. If your TV has this feature, you should enable DLNA and allow sharing on your TV. In addition, you should download a DLNA server on your phone or PC to share content.
How to Turn on DLNA on LG TV
1. Turn on your LG TV using the LG Magic remote.
2. Choose the Apps Key from the Home screen.
3. Open Settings and select Share and Connect.
4. Tap on the Menu Key and click the Use DLNA feature.
How to Allow Sharing contents from Other Devices
1. Tap the Menu Key on the remote and click Settings.
2. Tap on the Content Share options to allow other devices to detect your TV.
3. Click on Share Contents to choose the types of content you wish to share.
4. Tap Receive Files if you want to allow the other devices to upload media files to your TV.
5. You can customize the Sharing Requests on how to accept sharing files from other devices. Tick one option on your TV.
- Always accept
- Always ask
- Always deny
How to Share Content to LG TV Using DLNA
Here are the possible ways to share content to your LG TV using the DLNA feature.
How to Share from Smartphone to LG TV Using DLNA
As you turn on the DLNA feature on your LG TV, you need to enable DLNA on your Smartphone too. For this, you should download the SmartShare app on your Smartphone from Google Play Store or App Store. LG Smartphones have the SmartShare app pre-installed.
1. Turn on your LG TV by pressing the Power button on the TV remote.
2. Connect your LG Smart TV to WiFi which should be the same as your smartphone.
3. Launch the installed SmartShare app on your Smartphone.
4. Tap From and click My Phone.
5. Tap To and select your LG Smart TV, now your phone and TV will be paired.
6. Select Smart Home on your LG TV and select the SmartShare option to show the connected devices list.
7. Choose your Smartphone from the list of connected devices.
8. Browse through the remote content library and select the content that you wish to stream on your TV.
Note: If you want to optimize the sound quality of the content, you should know the best sound settings on LG TV.
System Requirements to Set Up DLNA Server on PC
Your PC should meet the following requirements to set up the DLNA server.
- Windows® XP SP2 or later
- Windows Vista®
- Windows® XP Media Center SP2 or later
- Windows Server® 2003 SP1 or later
- Windows® 7 Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate (32-bit or 64-bit)
- Windows Vista® 64 bit version (applications run in 32-bit mode)
- Windows® 7 64-bit version (applications run in 32-bit mode)
- Windows® Internet Explorer 6.0 or later
- HDD: 200 MB hard disk space
- CPU: 1.2 GHz Intel® Pentium® III -AMD Sempron™ 2200+ or higher
- Memory: 256 MB RAM
- Graphics card: Supports at least 800 x 600 resolution and 16-bit color
- 100 Mbps Ethernet
- WLAN (IEEE 802.11g) or higher
- UPnP-supported router for device searching
How to Share From PC to LG TV Using DLNA
It is required to install and activate the DLNA server using Nero Media Home 4 Essentials to pair your PC and LG TV.
1. Connect your PC and the LG TV to the same WiFi network.
2. Open Nero Media Home 4 Essentials on your PC.
3. Click the Share option and tap Add.
4. Select the folder or the content that you wish to share.
5. Then click the Network option on Nero Media Home 4 Essentials.
6. Select the network to which your LG TV is connected.
7. Now, click Start Server on Nero Media Home 4 Essentials.
8. Select the Device option on your Nero Media Home 4 Essentials.
9. Choose your LG TV from the list of devices.
10. Go to Smart Home on your LG TV and select SmartShare to view the list of connected devices.
11. Select Nero Media Home and choose the content to play on your TV.
How to Download Contents on LG TV Using DLNA
1. Turn on the DLNA feature on your LG TV.
2. Start sharing content from a Phone or PC using the above-mentioned steps.
3. Tap the Library and select the device from which you want to view content.
4. Browse the content library and select the content that you wish to download on your TV.
5. Touch and hold a content thumbnail and tap Download or tap the Menu Key > Download.
Disadvantages of DLNA
Though DLNA allows you to share files anywhere from compatible devices. There are notable disadvantages to looking for DLNA alternatives.
- DLNA does not support Digital Rights Management (DRM) due to which you may face copyrights restrictions to share content.
- DLNA does not include DivX, Xvid, FLAC, or other popular formats.
- Some contents are not supported to stream or download using DLNA.
Best Alternatives for DLNA
Besides the DLNA feature on your LG TV, you can use the following methods to screen share any media files.
- Screen Mirror
- Using Adapter
Apple TV does not have the DLNA feature. If you still insist on using DLNA on Apple TV, you can download the DLNA third-party app like iFlicks. But it is advisable to use AirPlay to share content rather than DLNA.
Yes, you can share content on Roku using DLNA. Get Roku Media Player on your Roku device and turn on the media streaming option on your PC. Now, you can share content from a PC to Roku.